Here are just a few ways to fill your Oatcakes!
Cheddar or Cheshire cheeses are most commonly used for cheesy oatcakes but many other cheeses are worth trying out.
Brown sauce, out of the bottle, on a Cheddar cheesey oatcake is really something worth getting out of bed for !
Adding a couple of rashers of bacon or sliced sausages to this arrangement will set you up for the rest of the day !
A bacon, cheese and tomato oatcake breakfast could be the ultimate British breakfast, especially with brown sauce !
- 6 oatcakes
- 8oz (225g) smoked bacon
- 6oz (170g) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 x 14oz (400g) tin tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- brown sauce
1. Steam the oatcakes over a saucepan of water at a rolling boil. Occasionally restack the oatcakes to ensure that all of them heat through and do not stick together. Time is not critical for this method but put the oatcakes on about ten minutes before you start grilling the bacon. Alternatively, microwave the oatcakes on a plate covered with a microwaveable plastic bowl for two minutes on high, restacking them after one minute.
2.Grill the bacon and season the tomatoes and bring to the boil.
3.Push the cooked bacon to one side and spoon on the tomatoes and juice. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the cheese and grill until it is bubbling - the burnt bits are the best.
4.Serve the oatcakes between plates. Replace the top plate after taking an oatcake.
5.Place the oatcake on it's face on your side plate. Fold in one edge of the oatcake. Make a line of bacon, cheese and tomatoes parallel and one inch in from the fold. Roll up the oatcake and dip it into the brown sauce and juices on your plate.
The popular folded pizza parcel of Italy is the starting point for this quick but substantial variation !
- half a pint (284ml) thick tomato sauce
- 3oz (85g) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 12 sliced black olives
- half an ounce (14g) Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
1. Heat the sauce and spread it over the oatcakes. Add the Mozzarella cheese and sliced black olives.
2.Grill until the cheese melts, and fold in half. Brush with oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Serve with crunchy salad.